There are a variety of travel reward credit cards available and people are cashing in on them as often as possible. These are different than frequent flyer credit card programs because they give more options to the consumer.
When you first get your card it is a good idea to look at all the perks you can get from it. Usually this information is listed in the advertising literature or you can give them a call. You will be surprised at what many of them offer.
You can get anything from great travel packages to discounts on car rentals or merchandise that is related to travel. You can often redeem some of your points with the airlines, depending on the program you choose.
If you are someone who travels a lot for business your travel reward credit cards can also be used for hotel visits. Most of the cards have certain hotels that they are connected to and this will allow you to get bonus awards by staying at associated hotels; these discounts can be up to 50% so look closely.
There are three basic types of travel reward credit cards:
- The airline mile earning card–this one matches a dollar for every dollar you spend and it comes back to you.
- The travel point card — gives you points instead of cash and then you redeem the points at the travel company that gave you the card.
- The hybrid card — this type of card earns points that you can use at the travel agency for different travel. For every dollar you spend, you get one point.
Some of the ways that your card points will be converted may differ and be somewhat more limiting than with some of the frequent flyer credit card programs but they can save you money and bring you free stays if you are willing to go to their hotels.
Here are some of the benefits to owning travel reward credit cards:
- There are no annual fees
- They also have a lower introductory fee for interest and its stays consistent.
- You usually will get a full reward program and they don’t have blackout dates and they don’t restrict your travel to certain areas.
- You have a 0% interest rate if you want to transfer balances.
- You will get a low APR if you have good credit
- There are free tickets for your companion with some airlines.
- You might receive holiday packages
- Some offer personal banking services
As you can see these cards are well worth the effort to obtain them and you can find the best deals by going online and doing a little research. Although you may think that you can pick just any card because they are pretty much all the same, you will want to rethink this idea.
Travel reward cards are the most flexible of all the cards so they are able to create for you the unique experience that works specifically for your needs.